NextFlex is looking for an experienced hardware design engineer to join the Advanced Technologies Group. In this role, you will design, prototype, and test the next generation of additively manufactured Flexible Hybrid Electronics (FHE). The role requires creative ability to leverage opportunities offered by the combination of novel materials, processes and architectures offered by FHE. The candidate is expected to plan, design and develop systems that address application domains in wearables, industrial IOT and structural health monitoring.
This is a unique role perfect for an engineer who is interested in owning advanced projects. You will have the opportunity to participate in all phases of system and device design. You will work closely with our experts in system integration, robotics, software, testing, and process, in a broad range of environments from medical devices to consumer electronics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Design, develop and test electrical devices for wearable systems with advanced additive manufacturing techniques.
- Develop and propose concepts for FHE systems strategically addressing key value propositions.
- Conduct and participate in design reviews.
- Communicate and Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
- Work closely with Program Managers, Directors and Business Development to meet milestones and deadlines.
- Advise NextFlex on emerging trends and champion new initiatives.
- Coordinate with design companies within the NextFlex ecosystem, developing partnership projects
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- MSc or PhD degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 5 years’ experience designing electronics systems for size, weight, and power constrained applications.
- Experience with all phases of electronics design: part selection, schematic creation, constraint setting, library management, board layout, and manufacturing document creation.
- Experience with electronics ECAD tools.
- Experience with wireless systems such as BLE, WIFI, UWB, NFC
- Strong EE fundamentals and HW debugging skills with lab equipment.
- Proficiency with Siemens EDA Xpedition Schematic and Layout tools
- Proficiency with HyperLynx SI/PI, HyperLynx Full Wave Solver, or HFSS
- Experience designing for low-power systems with multiple mixed signal ICs, power management devices, wired/wireless charging, and sensors
- Experience designing Flex devices or non-planar electronics
- Experience with the following common communication protocols: SPI, UART, USART, I2C, USB
- Experience with designing electrical devices for medical systems
- Experience with firmware development in C or C++ for embedded systems
Experience with project management across diverse teams.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
Travel for work up to 10% domestically.
Work authorization/ requirements
To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
NextFlex provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. NextFlex is a drug free workplace and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
COVID-19 Vaccination Notice
As a Federal contractor, NextFlex requires any new employee to provide acceptable proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to his/her/their first day of employment at NextFlex, unless a legally-recognized exemption has been requested by the new hire and approved by NextFlex. This policy has been established to comply with Executive Order 14042 (Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors) and the implementing Guidance for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors (saferfederalworkforce.gov).