Engineering Manager, Robotics & Structural Electronics Team Lead
NextFlex, America’s Flexible Hybrid Electronics Manufacturing Innovation Institute, is a public-private collaboration with the mission of advancing the capabilities of U.S. manufacturing in the field of Flexible Hybrid Electronics (FHE) and ensuring that the enabling manufacturing technologies are developed and shared with institute members and the U.S. Government. The institute is a not-for-profit entity funded jointly by industry, academia, and the U.S. Government. Our work enables the next generation electronics for medical, wearable, asset monitoring, structural health monitoring, soft robotics, integrated array antennas, automotive and agricultural technology applications.
NextFlex offers competitive compensation, excellent benefits, and a fun, collaborative work environment.
NextFlex is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead Robotics and Structural Electronics Development. In this role, you will be responsible for leading a Robotics Team as well as projects supporting the manufacturing of next generation Flexible Hybrid Electronics (FHE). This includes the development of robotic systems for multi-process, additive manufacturing platforms for conformal and 3D electronics for applications in automotive, aerospace, and soft robotics. This role requires product development from design concept generation with stakeholders through product or demonstrator realization. Candidates should have experience with design of experiments, manufacturer and supplier coordination, and integration of electronic components (PCBs, interconnects, wireless antennas, batteries, etc.) with unique mechanical systems. The position will require materials exploration, mechanical design and drawing, cross functional collaboration, and mentorship of junior-level engineers. The candidate will drive the development of roadmaps for robotics manufacturing and structural integration of electronics.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Leading projects and project teams
- Developing processes for applications unique to additive, conformal and 3D electronics
- Developing and scaling novel mechanical integration solutions for electronics
- Coordinating with customers on product requirements
- Creating and maintaining 2D drawings, 3D models, standard work assembly documentation, and BOMs
- Coordinating with manufacturers or suppliers of product components from prototype through production
- Validating mechanical designs by planning, executing, and documenting tests
- Investigating new concepts, materials, equipment, and processes to optimize products
- Designing and building fixtures to increase factory yield through automation
- Solving fast-paced, hands-on, and complex problems
- Leading cross-disciplinary teams of engineers and scientists
- Working closely with Program Managers, Directors, Business Development staff, and Engineers to generate and meet milestones and deadlines
- Managing tasks, documentation, and presentations
- Mentoring team members and Interns
- Advising NextFlex on technology trends and championing new initiatives
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years experience implementing mechanical designs into full volume production assemblies
- Proficiency with 3D CAD (e.g., AutoDesk suite, SolidWorks, NX)
- Experience with additive manufacturing and rapid prototyping, especially for electronics
- 3-5 years Industry experience in robotics automation implementation
- Certification and experience implementing GD&T – ASME Y14.5.2 2017 or later
- Experience with materials and processes in structural electronics such as printed RF antennas and sensors for aerospace and automotive
- Experience with soft robotics
- Experience in control theory and programming
- Track record of innovation in electronics integration and electronics packaging
- Experience in integration of batteries, PCBs, wireless antennas, interconnects, etc. into mechanical systems
- Versed in Design tools and Infrastructure MCAD and ECAD for electronic packaging – Mentor Xpedition, Altuim, Solidworks, NX, and Autodesk suite
- Ability to perform component level stress analysis
Managing and leading Robotics and Structural Electronics Development. In this role, you will be responsible for leading a Robotics Team as well as projects supporting the manufacturing of next generation Flexible Hybrid Electronics (FHE).
Minimal travel to meetings/conferences, as needed.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
Work authorization/ requirements
To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), you must be one of the following: a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
COVID-19 Vaccination Notice
As a Federal contractor, NextFlex requires any new employee to provide acceptable proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to his/her/their first day of employment at NextFlex, unless a legally-recognized exemption has been requested by the new hire and approved by NextFlex. This policy has been established to comply with Executive Order 14042 (Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors) and the implementing Guidance for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors (saferfederalworkforce.gov).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Send your resume to careers@NextFlex.us today!