NextFlex, America’s Flexible Hybrid Electronics Manufacturing Innovation Institute, is a public-private collaboration with the mission of advancing the capabilities of U.S. manufacturing in the field of Flexible Hybrid Electronics (FHE) and ensuring that the enabling manufacturing technologies are developed and shared with institute members and the U.S. Government. The institute is a not-for-profit entity funded jointly by industry, academia and the U.S. Government. Our work enables the next generation electronics for medical, wearable, asset monitoring, structural health monitoring, soft robotics, integrated array antennas, automotive and agricultural technology applications.
NextFlex offers competitive compensation, excellent benefits, and a fun, collaborative work environment.
NextFlex is looking for a mechanical engineer to join the Advanced Technologies Group. In this role, you will be responsible for laser process development for applications unique to the advancement of next generation Flexible Hybrid Electronics (FHE). This role also requires product development from design concept generation with stakeholders through product or demonstrator realization. Candidates should have experience with design of experiments, manufacturer and supplier coordination, and integration of electronic components (PCBs, interconnects, wireless antennas, batteries, etc.) with unique mechanical systems. The position will require materials exploration, mechanical design and drawing, and cross functional collaboration.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop laser processes for applications unique to additive electronics
- Develop and scale novel mechanical integration solutions for electronics
- Communicate and agree with customers on product requirements
- Create and maintain 2D drawings, 3D models, standard work assembly documentation, and BOMs
- Coordinate with manufacturers or suppliers of product components from prototype to production
- Validate mechanical designs by planning and executing testing
- Investigate new concepts, materials, equipment, and processes to optimize products
- Design build fixtures to increase factory yield through automation
- Solve fast paced hands-on complex problems
- Lead cross-disciplinary teams of engineers and scientists
- Work closely with Program Managers, Directors, and Business Development to meet milestones and deadlines
- Advise NextFlex on technology trends and champion new initiatives
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering
- At least 2 years implementing mechanical designs into full volume production assemblies
- Understanding of dimensioning and tolerancing standards and analysis
- Proficient with 3D CAD (e.g., AutoDesk Inventor, SolidWorks)
- Experience with additive manufacturing and rapid prototyping
- Experience with GD&T
- Experience with materials selection and testing for RF applications
- Ability to perform component level stress analysis
- Track record of innovation in electronics integration
- 3-5 years integrating batteries, PCBs, wireless antennas, interconnects, etc. into sealed mechanical systems of unique form factors
Project management across diverse teams.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
Minimal travel to meetings/conferences, as needed.
Work authorization/ requirements
To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
NextFlex provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. NextFlex is a drug free workplace and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
COVID-19 Vaccination Notice
As a Federal contractor, NextFlex requires any new employee to provide acceptable proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to his/her/their first day of employment at NextFlex, unless a legally-recognized exemption has been requested by the new hire and approved by NextFlex. This policy has been established to comply with Executive Order 14042 (Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors) and the implementing Guidance for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors (saferfederalworkforce.gov).