At NextFlex, we have an open, transparent, and highly collaborative approach to developing solutions that will yield enduring value for the Flexible Hybrid Electronics (FHE) industry. To that end, we seek to work with the best and brightest to solve the greatest technical challenges facing the industry today, and to help develop the NextFlex Technology Hub to become the valuable member resource we envision it to be. We welcome assignees from member companies, and, from time to time, post open positions seeking specific skills required to help us achieve our mission.
To accelerate the ramp-up of FHE design, prototype, and pilot manufacturing, and to speed technology transfer, NextFlex is soliciting proposals from members to temporarily assign technical experts to work in the Technology Hub. The temporary assignee will have the opportunity to participate in ongoing NextFlex projects, as well as to propose additional projects that support the NextFlex mission of advancing FHE manufacturing maturity.
Director of Fab Operations
Based in San Jose, CA, and reporting to the executive director, this position entails directing all Fab Operations and process module development, ensuring that all aspects of development and production, including processes, support systems, and equipment/tools, operate in an efficient, and cost-effective manner. This includes continuous improvement of fab operations up-time, production cycle time, yield management, and general operational efficiency.
Fab activities will include process design, prototype design and test, prototype manufacturing and low-volume manufacturing of flexible hybrid electronics technologies and products.
This position will lead the manufacturing development team including process engineers, equipment engineers, tool operators, and equipment maintenance technicians and is responsible for all process flows and module development for new technologies, and for prototype and low-volume manufacture of break-through products in flexible hybrid electronics for multiple applications and industries and for the United States Federal Government.
As part of the NextFlex leadership team, the Director of Fab Operations will be an active contributor to both strategic and tactical planning and execution and for supporting business development and technology development teams.
The incumbent will:
- Lead the process of introduction of new products into the clean room and the development of required manufacturing processes
- Develop failure analysis program to understand the relationships between device failure and processes.
- In collaboration with the Technology team, support the development of the Technology Development Roadmap including the creation of technology platforms. Establish mechanisms and best practices for process technology development or transfer from development to pilot line manufacturing.
- Manage key subcontractor relationships with various suppliers that support fab operations including but not limited to tools, materials, chemicals, gases, etc.
- Interface with industry, universities and national laboratories to be up to date with latest developments and support the identify new business opportunities.
- Working in close collaboration with Finance Team, forecast and track fab operation costs and keep costs under control and within budget.
- Implement a culture of continuous operational improvement within the Fab Operations team.
- Ensure the cleanroom maintains and complies with all safety best practices regulatory requirements, i.e. maintain a safe work environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Areas of Focus
- The Director of Fab Operations needs the following experiences and attributes:
- Operations experience
- Managing WIP and balancing a line, specifically a high mix/low volume environment.
- Experience in Kanban WIP management would be a plus.
- Implemented a “Continuous Process Improvement” cultured
- Six Sigma black belt and TQM
- Experience with Lean operations
- Well versed in Management Execution Systems and MRP
- Document controls
- Facility and Equipment maintenance management experience:
- Overall Equipment Efficiency (OEE)
- Preventive Maintenance program
- EHS and Safety Experience
- Managing a safety program
- Managing operational permits
- Working with hazardous gases and materials and managing their permits
- Working with local regulatory agencies
- Engineering Development Experience
- Managing process development in semiconductors or packaging
- Using design of experiments
- Creating and managing technology roadmaps and aligning clean room capabilities, plans and manufacturing strategy with technology roadmaps
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in engineering, operations management or business. Advance degree preferred.
- A minimum of 10-15 years of management experience, ideally in semiconductor fab operations, packaging and advanced electronics manufacturing, contract manufacturing or like industry.
- Process experience in FHE devices is a plus. Process experience in semiconductors or similar is desirable.
- A strong leader, able to motivate and inspire confidence at all organizational levels.
- Experience with US Government or US military manufacturing a plus.
- Experience in multiple industry sectors a plus – electronics, printed products, medical products a plus
Please submit a cover letter and resume to NextFlex.
None at this time. Get notified of future positions by clicking “Sign Up for Updates” below.