NextFlex, OSD ManTech, and each of the DoD Manufacturing Innovation Institutes recently announced the OIB Modernization Challenge. This challenge will provide a total of $2.5M in funding to projects that address dual-use applications and are responsive to specific needs of the Department of Defense (DoD) and the domestic manufacturing industry. Individual projects may be funded up to $500k.
This special project call is focused on a single Special Topic Area (STA) derived from the DoD Organic Industrial Base (OIB) and contains multiple focus areas. Project teams can select one or more challenges to address. Challenge areas include:
- Integrated hardware trackers (active, connected sensors)
- Improved technology to modernize manufacturing processes
- Digitization to combat “part-orphaning”
- Qualification/certification technology
- Digitization of the “shop floor”
- Development of the workforce in pursuit of the “Virtual Artisan”
- Novel disposal and/or recycling techniques/technologies to accommodate demilitarization of equipment and munitions
- Manufacturing or automation equipment that can work in an intrinsically safe environment
- Development of digital Technical Data Packages interoperable across Services
Project teams must include their Manufacturing Innovation Institute as a team performer in their projects with the MII performing, at a minimum, project management. However, proposers may work with NextFlex to leverage the Institute’s technical capabilities for the effort. Project teams are also encouraged to leverage successfully completed MII technology development programs as well as Institute Developed Intellectual Property (IDIP) in their submissions.
It is highly recommended that proposers have discussions with NextFlex as soon as possible if they intend to submit for this special project call. Proposers must notify NextFlex of their intent to submit by November 20th. NextFlex will work with individual proposers to identify the required budget for the Institute’s work.
To increase the flow of ideas and reduce the administrative time to implement, this project call will use a two-step submission process for selecting projects:
Step 1: Concept paper and Quad Chart submission.
Step 2: Team presentation and supporting documents submission (by invitation only)
Projects selected after Step 2 will be contracted through the Manufacturing Innovation Institutes.
OSD will only accept five concept paper submissions from each MII. NextFlex will use the Challenge Score Sheet provided as the evaluation criteria for potential down-selection of submissions, should they exceed the maximum number allowed. If a down-selection is required, additional details on this process will be shared with proposers that notified NextFlex of their intent to submit by the November 20th deadline.
You can learn more details of the submission process in the OIB Modernization Challenge Overview document.
- Deadline for Notification to NextFlex of Intent to Submit Proposal: 11/20/2023
- Concept Paper Submission Deadline: 11/28/2023
- Invitations for Presentation Phase Released: ~1/12/2024
- Submission Deadline for Presentation Packages: 2/2/2024, 5:00pm ET (by invitation only)
- Team Presentations: 2/7/2024 (in-person, location TBD)
- Final Selections Released; Subaward Negotiations Begin: ~2/29/2024
- Target Project Start Date: No later than 6/3/2024
Questions may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.