NextFlex Project Calls fulfill one of the Institute’s primary goals: fostering technology innovation and commercialization.
Project Call (PC) 8.0 is the eighth project call issued by NextFlex. Like the preceding project calls, it is intended to advance the state of the art in manufacturing for Flexible Hybrid Electronics (FHE) and to promote the strength, competitiveness, and interconnectedness of the U.S. manufacturing ecosystem for FHE. Each NextFlex project call has a unique character and implements changes relative to past project calls, and all proposers should carefully read all sections of this guidebook to understand changes in proposal development, required content, submission, evaluation, eligibility, and selection criteria. Important considerations for PC 8.0:
• Proposal process will be 1-stage (straight to full proposal) – there is no pre-proposal round
• Discussion with NextFlex during proposal development is strongly encouraged to ensure that proposals align to the goals of the topics
• Projects are expected to be technically focused and of modest duration (maximum duration from 12 to 18 months, by topic)
• Topic areas are broadly defined, allowing proposers to determine the specific subject of their proposal; proposals should explain the importance and relevance of the chosen subject
• Alignment of proposals to DoD Critical Technology Areas is strongly encouraged (for more information, see https://www.cto.mil/usdre-strat-vision-critical-tech-areas/)
Topics for PC 8.0 include:
- 8.1: Additively Manufactured 3D Devices with Increased Complexity
- 8.2: High Performance FHE Interconnects
- 8.3: Harsh Environment Hybrid Electronic Components with Proven Reliability
- 8.4: Advancing the Manufacturability of FHE Processes Towards Standardization
- 8.5: Environmentally Sustainable FHE Manufacturing, Design Strategies, and Use-Cases
- 8.6: Open Topic for “New Project Leads”
NextFlex hosted a Proposer’s Day and Teaming Event on Tuesday, March 28 at the NextFlex Winter FHE Symposium. You can view the slides from the Proposer’s Day, Teaming Event, & TRL and MRLs: Supporting the Nextflex Project Call 8.0 presentations here.
The Proposer’s Day session introduced PC 8.0 topics and proposal submission procedures, answered questions regarding the project call, and provided the opportunity for interested participants to develop proposal teams. At the PC 8.0 Teaming Event, attendees pitched their proposal ideas & capabilities to others looking to collaborate.